Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Will I drink again?

I have a roommate. In general population everyone has a roommate. We sleep on bunk beds. My roommate is 37, white, and even though she says she has never had a felony she has spent a good part of her life in jails. She is an alcoholic (just like me.) She is homeless and doesn't even have an ID of any sort. She panhandles for money. Let's call her Jane.

Jane is locked up this time for drinking in public. She has to serve 90 days. When on the streets if a cop from Arlington County sees her they automatically give her a breathalyzer & if she blows anything they take her to jail. The cops all know her. She has been banned from Ballston Mall here in Arlington County. She apparently is a mean drunk. The reason I am writing about her is the minute she gets out she will drink. That's what she dreams of, a cigarette and a beer, knowing the cops will take her back to jail.

I just don't know why she will drink knowing she will just have to go back to jail. Will this be me as well? Will I drink knowing I will have to serve 2 more years? I don't want to spend more time here, this is driving me crazy. I pray I won't drink again.

No comments: