Thursday, July 12, 2007

Math Tutors

I have a friend who had trouble with math when he was 11 and in sixth grade. I wonder if he could have been helped by math tutors.

The poor child just didn't know how to take a test. He isn't dumb. In fact he is one of the smartest people I know. But he did really, really bad on this standardized test, so in 6th grade they put him into remedial math classes. Two years later he taught himself Calculus and became a wiz at higher math.

I see it as a failing of our educational system that no teacher could take the time to realize how brilliant this guy was, but just understand he did not know how to take a test. Learning how to take a test can be as important as knowing how to do the work.

When I have children, I'll find a place like Score, and get them a math tutor.

No comments: