Friday, July 13, 2007

Books and TV

The main way to spend my time in jail is to read books and watch TV. Yesterday I read four books. Today I fight with other inmates over which channel to watch on TV. Whoever get sto the TV first controls it. I don't get to watch what I wish very often.

There is nothing to do here. It is very boring. Jail is a punishment of isolation where we are sent as punishment. The slice of time taken from our lives, in my case nearly a year, is our punishment. At least that is the traditional view. TV, books, excersize equipment and more is used as a way of keeping the peace and controlling us. Being here is the punishment.

Then there is another school of thought that suggest we are not sent here AS punishment, but rather we are sent here FOR punishment. I do not need more torture. Being here is puishment enough.

No comments: